There are many different views on the best time to visit Darjeeling, but the general consensus is this: Darjeeling Best time to visit March-April.
Of all seasons, in general, March-April is one of the most popular times for people to visit Darjeeling. While some tourists might enjoy visiting during these months because of the sunny days and warmer weather as well as less crowds, others may be thinking of planning a trip during these months because it’s a very low season for tourism.
Darjeeling is also known as the “Queen of Hills” because of its magnificent view and cool climate, tea plantations and ethnic varieties. The weather is relatively cold in the winter months with temperatures in the mid-30’s Fahrenheit, but there are still hikers who enjoy traversing steep trails through the Himalayas during these months. In fact, Darjeeling is one of the major trekking hubs for tourists who enjoy hiking to mountains and witnessing panoramic views of sunset or sunrise..
Places and Darjeeling best time to visit
- Tsomgo Lake- Ideal time to visit from end of February to March and from September to October, tourists can visit this place. The water in Tsomgo Lake is clear and the main attractions are boating, bird watching and fishing.
- Ghoom Monastery- Located at a height of 1,600 m in Ghoom, Darjeeling District on the way to Tiger Hill, Ghoom Monastery is one of the major attractions for tourists. The monastery houses hundreds of Buddhist monks and the 9-storey Nyingmapa Temple at the top of the hill.
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway- The railway is one of the most popular attractions for tourists. Travelers can enjoy a spectacular journey through scenic landscapes and visit interesting places, such as the Alubari Tea Gardens, Jim Corbett National Park and Mysore Garden.
- Kanchenjunga – Kanchenjunga is also one of the most beautiful places tourists can visit. The place is located at a height of 3,598 m on top of Dooars and tourists can enjoy trekking.
- Kalimati National Park- Kalimati National Park is located in the Darjeeling District on the way to Ghoom Monastery and Tiger Hill. The vegetation includes rhododendron, fir, blue pine and oak. Tourists can enjoy bird watching in the park.
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute- Established in 1960, the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute is located at a height of 2,250 m near Darjeeling city.
Things to do in Darjeeling
- Darjeeling Tea- Established in 1841, the Darjeeling tea is exported to over two dozen countries across the world. Tea produced at the plantations is considered among the finest in those countries. It is also very popular among tea enthusiasts who visit the region during pilgrimages and view different teas at local tea plantations.
- Tiger Hill- Tiger Hill is located at a height of 3,200 m from Kurseong and tourists can enjoy trekking through different landscapes including subtropical forests.
- Siliguri Hot Springs- The area is located at a distance of 19 km from Siliguri, Darjeeling, West Bengal and tourists can enjoy a hot spring bath. There are several hotels in the area catering to the tourists.
- Panskura Tea Estate- Established in 1905, the oldest tea plantation in India is located at a distance of 4 km from Darjeeling town and tourists can visit this place to observe cocoa trees at the tea plantation.
Places to visit near Darjeeling
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary- Established in 1992, the sanctuary is located at a distance of 9.46 km from Kurseong and tourists can enjoy trekking through different landscapes and habitats.
- Singalila National Park- The park is located at a distance of 7 km from Darjeeling, West Bengal and tourists can enjoy trekking and bird watching through the national park.
- Rajrajeshwari Temple- Established in the 12th century, the temple is located at a distance of 4 km from Darjeeling and tourists can visit this place to view the beautiful idol of Goddess Rajrajeshwari.
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) has 5 railway stations: Siliguri Junction, New Jalpaiguri Junction, Darjeeling Railway Station (the main station), Ghum Railway Station and Singmari Railway Station.
Darjeeling is an ideal destination to visitors who enjoy hot springs, trekking and bird watching. The region also has a rich cultural heritage and offers stunning views of mountains through sightseeing tours. There are beautiful tea plantations where tourists can enjoy sipping tea and learn about the history of the famous Darjeeling tea, which is exported to over two dozen countries worldwide.